Who wants to be hypnotized when they could be hypnotouched*?

(It's ALL) About Me (yeah, right!)

I am about many things...to box me into ONE would be a very big mistake.

People experience me as intelligent and offbeat, with a perspective that is NOT down the worn path.
Those who enjoy speaking with me quite frequently find things they didn't even know they were looking for.
If what I have to say seems interesting or might be helpful to you, let's talk!

There is a chat box in the right column,
feel free to chat with others when I am not there, or with me, when I am.
(If you're hearing *blips* while visiting, there is likely to be conversation going on at the time).

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Trying to Prove Something in an Inappropriate Context

This is something I wrote to
someone regarding a situation
he was in. I share it in case
someone else might find the
perspective helpful.

It's like saying 2+2=metal.
Metal has nothing to do with
2, and you'll never prove it,
no matter how determined you
are, or how many times you try,
or how long you stick with it.

There are times you may feel
that you need to prove that
you are a good man by staying
in an unhealthy marriage.

Your equation is something
like me+staying with my wife
=me being a good man.

It doesn't work that way.

You are a good man, and
you don't need proof, and
you don't need to feel
like you need to stay
unhappily in a situation
to prove it since it is
impossible to prove that
you are a good man.

It is something that
you just are.

It is something that can
coordinate with your actions,
but is actually separate
from them.

You can still be a good man,
and refrain from doing what
others (or even you) believe
a good man "should."

And - if by some chance
you actually want to try
any way - a good man will
always take care of himself
first - and is always honest
with himself - or else what
does he truly have to give
another?
 

3 comments:

  1. What defines a good man really varies from person to person. It's not always what it appears to be on the surface. While I'm not one who'd want to see a relationship fail, if there's good indication that a separation is what's mutually best, it might not only be the best avenue to follow, but the ineviatable one as well. Better the relationship end on a mutual note before it gets ugly somehow stemming from unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many things will vary from person to person in terms of their labels and their associated values.

    Interesting how we see an relationship end as a "failure," don't you think? I am thinking as I write this that this would be another blog entry...may have to flesh it out some.

    Thanks as always for your contributions here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just completed the blog entry I started to formulate in the last comment. Here it is if you'd like to read it, http://isis-the-enchantress.blogspot.com/2010/12/failure-success-end-on-relationships.html

    ReplyDelete