Who wants to be hypnotized when they could be hypnotouched*?

(It's ALL) About Me (yeah, right!)

I am about many things...to box me into ONE would be a very big mistake.

People experience me as intelligent and offbeat, with a perspective that is NOT down the worn path.
Those who enjoy speaking with me quite frequently find things they didn't even know they were looking for.
If what I have to say seems interesting or might be helpful to you, let's talk!

There is a chat box in the right column,
feel free to chat with others when I am not there, or with me, when I am.
(If you're hearing *blips* while visiting, there is likely to be conversation going on at the time).

Sunday, March 11, 2012

(More on) You'll Never Do Anything Against Your Will

In conversations that focus on this topic, there are 3 key components I can identify that are usually woven through the content are; the question of who is right, the question of who is responsible, and the question of what do we really "know."

Interestingly while these conversations go on, things happen within a context that includes hypnosis. How exactly a person gets to where he does might not matter as much as the fact that he does. Does it really matter if it is "his" fault? Does it really matter whose "fault" it is?

While we are so busy assigning fault, and having a need to be right as human beings (our egos so abhor being wrong), there are those who are going to be affected by hypnosis more strongly either by nature (their suggestibility) or nurture (the "coaxing" of a hypnotist/hypnosis) and maybe both.

I often tell people that while it is "technically' true a person can not be made to do something that s/he finds objectionable, there are many ways in which a person can be manipulated by the language used by the hypnotist, as well as their knowledge of how hypnosis works - which those who aren't as knowledgeable (many of those who seek to be hypnotized) can become susceptible to. One such extreme example is that of a man hypnotized by Derrin Brown to think he was shooting at a target at a range, but was instead "shooting" at a well known person - so while he may have found it objectionable to kill someone, that is not what he believed he was doing.

There is also the issue of suggestibility. Not all people have the same level of suggestibility. Those who are the least suggestible are likely to be the most skeptical - which of course, makes some sort of sense. If something isn't a part of a person's personal experience, it is frequently discounted, which often can be how human beings tend to be in matters they don't fully know or understand.

Conversations in which people will stick to the standard lines are difficult for me, as I have gone from a hypnotist trained (hypnotized?) to believe certain things about hypnosis to a hypnotist that has seen a myriad of ways that seem to counter what I should have "known." As a result, I believe the idea that people are always in some way "safe" when it comes to hypnosis could potentially lull someone into a false sense of security, if they happen into the "wrong" type of person/circumstance. (I think it also has the potential to cause other issues, which is a bit more than I think I want to discuss in this context.)

There is also the element of people not truly knowing themselves. We may think we know what we are capable of, and what we believe, but I have seen how those things can be contorted and distorted and expanded in ways that are not always welcome, but seem to become a part of the person's current experience, and when it can not be fully discerned, how is it able to be altered? And even if it happens to be a "true" part of the person, who is to say that it is going to be a welcomed one? Again, does it matter where it came from, or just that it arrived during the course of interaction with hypnosis?

I have, at times, seen how a person has some ability to pull back from things that might seem to be going awry, but I believe that there could be cases in which that might not be possible, if the person doing the manipulating had the ability to manipulate the bigger picture, and if the person being manipulated wasn't aware enough to know that s/he was being manipulated enough to question it or stop it.

In the end, it doesn't really matter who is "right," and if we get lost in an argument that focuses on who is right and who is wrong, I would suggest it takes away from the responsibility we have to ourselves and the others who may at some point be affected. Since there is much about the mind we don't know, what is the harm in having conversations that ask questions rather than ones that are full of potentially incorrect "absolutes?"

I don't know about you, but as I learn more about what goes into our products and foods, I find there is a myriad of "fact-based opinion" on the ingredients. Of course, everyone is right, and no one is wrong, and yet there are opinions that are in sharp contrast to one another. In the beginning, I was listening to one thing, only to be surprised by another opinion later. To say it was frustrating, is an understatement. At the same time, I would much rather know that the differences exist so that I can make up my own mind, rather than go down the path someone else believes is right, only later to find out how incredibly wrong it was - for me.

Despite the fact that we often desire absolutes, it might behoove us to realize that there really are very few things that are "one size fits all," and to be more tolerant of the experiences of others that don't seem to correlate to ours, and to ask more questions of their experience instead of judging them for varying from what we expect or think we "know."

Am I "right"? Of course my ego would like to think so. But, of course, it would be silly of me to say I am, given what I just wrote. I would think the point is for us to take life apart and put it together in a way that makes sense for us, taking the things that make sense, and disposing with those that don't. Trying to limit how things are seen probably isn't very helpful, as it is through the contrasts that we often learn the most. I know that is the contrasts that has made me the hypnotist I am today. (As of yesterday, it was 8 years, and counting!)

If I had stayed with what I "knew" and hadn't seen what I have in the course of doing erotic hypnosis, I would likely have turned out to be a very different hypnotist. So while I may vary with those who say otherwise, ultimately I welcome the conversation. It is through conversations like these that I become more clear about how I see things for myself and am better able to share my perspective.

If you read my "novel," thanks for taking the time!

--> -->Other Blog entries on this topic can be accessed here.

If you enjoyed this entry,
(or found it helpful)
please click below:

 

1 comment:

  1. read your novel maybe one of few that was manipulated that you know but wiser because of you thanks

    ReplyDelete