Who wants to be hypnotized when they could be hypnotouched*?

(It's ALL) About Me (yeah, right!)

I am about many things...to box me into ONE would be a very big mistake.

People experience me as intelligent and offbeat, with a perspective that is NOT down the worn path.
Those who enjoy speaking with me quite frequently find things they didn't even know they were looking for.
If what I have to say seems interesting or might be helpful to you, let's talk!

There is a chat box in the right column,
feel free to chat with others when I am not there, or with me, when I am.
(If you're hearing *blips* while visiting, there is likely to be conversation going on at the time).

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How Perception Can Shape Interpretation of Reality

Ever been to a museum of Science and Industry?

They are some cool places to visit.
Many of the things you see will
challenge you to think.

(hmmm...)

Any way, I came across a note I had made of
an exhibit I had seen on one of my visits.
I believe it was at the museum in Queens, NY.

If I remember correctly, I wrote exactly what
the exhibit explained, because it just was
so metaphorically perfect for other things
that we do.

I share it (if there is some reason I
shouldn't in this crazy world we live in
now someone should let me know) as a way
of being potentially helpful to another.

The emphasis of some words below is mine.

--

Most windows are rectangles. When a rectangle
window is angled away from you, the farther
edge seems smaller. Because of your past
experience
, your brain assumes the window
in the exhibit is rectangular and that one edge
appears smaller only because it is farther away.

But one edge really is smaller. When the smaller
edge moves closer to you, the brain refuses to
see
it closer. Instead, it assumes that the window
is now rotating in the opposite direction -
therefore it appears to swing back and forth.

--

From the blurb you might get that beside this
description there was a window shaped object
hanging nearby that was moving in such a way
to create the illusion.

Best if you can actually see in action, but
it still may give you something to consider.

How many times do we act - based on past
experience, in some way refusing to see the
present because of what we think we know,
making assumptions that ultimately get us
into dilemmas because what we believe to
be "true" is inaccurate?


If you can say you've never done that, I
would LOVE to meet you! :P

Have a great day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment