Who wants to be hypnotized when they could be hypnotouched*?

(It's ALL) About Me (yeah, right!)

I am about many things...to box me into ONE would be a very big mistake.

People experience me as intelligent and offbeat, with a perspective that is NOT down the worn path.
Those who enjoy speaking with me quite frequently find things they didn't even know they were looking for.
If what I have to say seems interesting or might be helpful to you, let's talk!

There is a chat box in the right column,
feel free to chat with others when I am not there, or with me, when I am.
(If you're hearing *blips* while visiting, there is likely to be conversation going on at the time).

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Magic of the Unknown

Sometimes we do things and don't know why
we are doing them. Sometimes we do things,
and we may think we know why we're doing
them, but it turns out there may have been
some other reason for our efforts.

I was thinking about this recently for a
couple of reasons. I saw this news item
about a man who kept building
furniture, but didn't know why, and
then one morning woke up and decided
to donate it to an organization that
is helping to provide meals for those
in impoverished Haiti
.

His work will provide many meals for those
who need them. Apparently he had no idea
that is what was going to be done, he just
kept going. I bet some people thought it
at least a wee bit odd.

As a separate, and yet related, thought,
there is a message about how things can
be helpful even when at first blush they
may not seem to be.

Here is a man who is a woodworker. There
is no obvious connection/correlation to
feeding those who need to be fed. A
connection was made in a way that could
be helpful because people were open to
creating that connection.

Sometimes things may not be so obvious,
but there are ways to help others if
we are just willing to be open and
creative. It may take an extra step
or two, but it would seem to me to be
worth the effort. Often it is likely
not a conscious oversight, but rather
just the tendency for human beings to
sometimes just see things in a limited
way. Not sure why that is, unless it
has something to do with our "dang"
comfort zone, LOL.

Back to the subject at hand. In the
last few months I had been working
with someone hypnotically toward an
end. Suddenly and sadly something
happened that got in the way of what
we were working on.

Because we had been working on what
we were working on, though, I believe
that in a time when he really needed
what hypnosis could offer him, he was
able to get maximum benefit.

I am not sure how able I would have
been to help him, had we not laid
the groundwork we had...and the
groundwork was totally unrelated to
the issue that developed.

As I write this I think of the story
of Noah in the Bible. I am not a
religious person, however it is
a story that I am familiar with.

If the story is true, think of what
it must have taken Noah to do what
he did. To know that there was
something he needed to do in spite
of what others believed couldn't
have been easy.

Even if the story is only metaphorical,
there is a message of doing something
that one knows is "right" in spite of
what the prevailing situation may look
like, despite what others may say.

Sometimes we may know why we do what
we do, and sometimes we may not have
a clue, however if it is something that
we are drawn or compelled to do, even
if it makes no immediate, logical
sense, it seems to me that we ought
to be paying attention.

For people who think they have to know
everything, and that they got it all
together, it might be a conflicting
and uncomfortable consideration to
consider that we may never truly know
what purpose our actions will serve,
until they're put to use in unanticipated,
helpful and (at times) seemingly magical
ways.

Uncomfortable as it may be, there is
a reasonable amount of logic that fits
this way of thinking. Being open to
the magic of life, I'd say, is one of
the greatest gifts we can give ourselves.

It's gonna happen with, or without, our
cooperation LOL, so why not just go
with it when the feeling strikes next
time? We have an illusion that we can
control things. The fact is sometimes
those things allow us to believe that,
when in actuality, we may have just
gotten lucky.

There is very little we truly control.
Given how much we can mess up when
our ego is in charge, perhaps that
is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why this reminds me of some loose belief I had concerning 'instinctual fatalism' or 'driven to a destiny according to your humanity' I think. Sounds really similar. I'd be willilng to bet part of this particular unknown rests somewhere in the 90% of our brains we're not using; a part that doesn't need to understand, but feels the need to act on it anyway.

    This can be interpreted a lot of ways. Part of what Isis is saying hear is also reminiscent of "a man's character is his destiny." A good heart will lead you to doing things you'd never think would help people later, but they have. This has happened to me often, and probably everyone at some point. I'd be interested to know if any have/haven't acted on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how you speak of a "good heart," hadn't considered how a good heart would be behind these types of experiences. I suppose it makes sense, and think I likely just took that part of the equation for granted. I bet there is a much bigger conversation that can be had here. Thanks for your few cents, and your continual contributions to this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete