Who wants to be hypnotized when they could be hypnotouched*?

(It's ALL) About Me (yeah, right!)

I am about many things...to box me into ONE would be a very big mistake.

People experience me as intelligent and offbeat, with a perspective that is NOT down the worn path.
Those who enjoy speaking with me quite frequently find things they didn't even know they were looking for.
If what I have to say seems interesting or might be helpful to you, let's talk!

There is a chat box in the right column,
feel free to chat with others when I am not there, or with me, when I am.
(If you're hearing *blips* while visiting, there is likely to be conversation going on at the time).

Friday, July 22, 2011

That Person May One Day Be You

I have been hearing a lot lately about
age discrimination. Coming from a
society that prizes youth, it should
not come as a surprise, I suppose.

However, I can't help but wonder when
we as a community of people will get
over this prevailing, detrimental
attitude that we have about age.

After all, the fact is that if those
who are young are fortunate, they
too will one day be in a position
of being the "older one."

Even Paris Hilton recently was
interviewed and walked out because
someone had asked her if her time
at come and gone. And she is 30!
years old.

I remember once having to do an
exercise for school in which my
classmates and I had to discuss
who we would "save" on a deserted
island. I forget the demographics
of all represented, but one I do
remember was someone who would be
classified as a senior citizen.

Everyone but me was ready to
let that person be "cut." I
argued that there was a possibility
that that person knew something
that others didn't, that there
might be some wisdom offered by
that person that might not otherwise
be available in the limited society.

I don't really remember the way it
wound up, and I don't even remember
the point of the exercise, but what
I do remember was strongly I felt,
and how alone I was in that feeling.

Our society is aging. There are
more who are getting closer to
Social Security age than there
are children being born - many
more. That means that how we
interact as a society, and how we
treat those who are older will be
in the hands of the minority of
the younger segment of our society.

I've heard it said that a society
can be judged by how it treats its
seniors. I think a society can be
judged by how it treats anyone -
but especially those who are in
need.

I am not saying that we need to
start handing out things, and I do
believe that people need to be as
responsible as they can be to
themselves and others, however
there are times that we as people
do need each other.

Life has an interesting way of
showing us things. Sometimes the
one in control can one day be the
one in need. It might be good to
remember that, and to teach that
in a way that means something,
although perspective isn't an
easy thing to teach. Look at the
often repeated mistakes of history:
perspective ignored.

Someone recently told me that as
a child someone told him that it
didn't matter how big he got, he
could be shot down in an instant
by a gun.

There are different ways to be "big."
Those who are in control have the
illusion that they are "big," and
as such they make decisions impacting
many without much thought or
consideration sometimes. They're
also the ones that can be shot down
suddenly by another in an unexpected
way, especially when they think they're
so big, they're untouchable.

Unfortunately, like many things we
seem to have difficulty seeing something
or appreciating something until we are
directly affected. It would seem that
one key to life is to take what we can
from other's learning, while simultaneously
seeking our own, best route. Another's
experience won't always be our own, but
sometimes it does pay to listen.

I am not sure where and how and when
things could change, but I would like
to think that we can be better as a
whole than we are being.

Anyone agree? Anyone doing anything
about it? Would love to hear about it,
if so...maybe it will inspire something.

If you enjoyed this entry (or found it helpful),
please click below:

1 comment:

  1. "I think a society can be judged by how it treats anyone - but especially those who are in need."

    I wish more people would see it that way.

    ReplyDelete