Who wants to be hypnotized when they could be hypnotouched*?

(It's ALL) About Me (yeah, right!)

I am about many things...to box me into ONE would be a very big mistake.

People experience me as intelligent and offbeat, with a perspective that is NOT down the worn path.
Those who enjoy speaking with me quite frequently find things they didn't even know they were looking for.
If what I have to say seems interesting or might be helpful to you, let's talk!

There is a chat box in the right column,
feel free to chat with others when I am not there, or with me, when I am.
(If you're hearing *blips* while visiting, there is likely to be conversation going on at the time).

Sunday, January 9, 2011

When are Words Not "Just Words"? | Thoughts on Tuscon Shooting

Truly, words really are "just" words.

However, when they're combined with
individual meaning and interpretation,
the words can become who we are and
what we do.

I know people who kid around about
things, thinking that what they're
saying is insignificant.

Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't.

I know it gets a little heavy for
some to consider that words can
become our reality and as a result
it can be mocked or ignored, or
any number of reactions that
suggest that there is no truth to
the idea.

Now let me ask you...does anyone
really KNOW with 100% certainty
that words (and let's throw
images in there, too) are unconnected
to the realities that we face?

I would say some would say yes to
that question...but I want proof.
How do you KNOW with ABSOLUTE
certainty?

The "fact" is that it would be very
difficult, if not impossible, to
prove that the two are isolated
from one another.

Going from that premise, it gives
me reason to question how we go
about things. If there is even
the slightest chance that what
we do and say and present to the
world can affect it, then might
it make sense for us to be more
careful about our contributions
to the world at large and the
individuals around us?


I bring this up as a result of
the sad events in Arizona yesterday.
There is speculation that an
image of Sarah Palin's contributed
to what happened. However, it has
yet to be stated as fact, even
though the conjecture is pretty
damning, whether it is "true,"
or not.

Whether or not it had anything to
do with the events, might we want
as a culture to consider that
imagery and rhetoric that has to do
with a gun might be inappropriate
for a world in which violence is an
undesirable outcome?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment